With the world’s largest sporting event, the FIFA World Cup, recently winding up in Germany, we at e-Volunteerism decided it was time to turn our attention to the nuances involved in volunteering and volunteer management practices within the context of hosting major events.
Major events utilize the support of thousands of volunteers which, by sheer weight of numbers, creates management complexities not experienced by volunteer managers working in more conventional kinds of volunteering. Some of these issues, which we discuss in this Roundtable, include:
- Infrastructure and planning required for handling such a vast workforce
- Transference of volunteers, skills and knowledge across nations
- Pressures of working to complex and finite time lines
- Importance of reward and recognition of major event volunteers
- Utilization of volunteers themselves in the management and training of other volunteer team members
This Keyboard Roundtable offers a variety of opinions from volunteerism leaders around the world, involved in coordinating volunteer effort across a wide range of major events. We invite you to learn about this unique style of volunteer involvement from their experiences.